Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Mango Madness

These days, the girls in my family have been very stressed and have been experiencing some difficulties in our family. I'm been trying to spend some quality time with the girls and help them through this difficult time. Yesterday was Heroes Day in Rwanda. It's a national holiday in Rwanda when everyone remembers the heroes in their life. For Heroes Day, each family was to choose the student in the family that's the hero of the family. The goal of the morning was for each family to choose the person that they see as the best leader in the family and why. I decided to do something a little different with the girls in my family. We have no counselor and my house mother needed to take care of something. I took them on a walk.

I met up with the girls in my family after breakfast. We then moved to the flag pole behind the dining hall. There we talked about the plan for the walk. Before we left, I taught them a song in hebrew...Hine ma Tov. The meaning to the song is how good is it for us to be able to sit together. I thought that this was very signifigant for the family. They really enjoyed the song. We sang it with clapping and some sang na na. We then continued to walk. They walked in groups discussing first what it means to be a leader and then they talked about someone in their lives that's a good leader and a hero for them. Our walked ended at the secret mango trees behind the school. Everyone ate sooooo many mangos! It was awesome and the girls were so happy. Everyone had beautiful mango smiles will the mango strings stuck in their teeth!

No comments:

Post a Comment