Friday, February 4, 2011

Attack of the Parasites...again

I started to feel bad on Wednesday. I know my body well enough that I can tell if something is wrong. I thought maybe I had amoebas again. On Thursday, I went to get a poop test at the clinic in the local village. The technician was able to find the results pretty fast. I don't have amoebas but 3 other types of parasites. The nurse at ASYV told me that I have a farm growing in my stomach with all types of plants and animals. So now I'm talking some pretty strong medicines to try and kill everything that's trying to invade my stomach...hopefully a healthy stomach will pervail!

While I was at the local clinic, I had a situation that made me think and question my role as a western living in Rwanda. I still don't know that best way to handle the situation. Even after living in Rwanda for a year, I'm always sure how to best deal with tough questions. Poverty is something that troubles many people here. I even have close friends that struggle with the hardships. I'm very thankful to ASYV for helping some of the poorest of the poor living in the local community to get jobs that allow their families to eat everyday and provide education for their children. The students at ASYV are not the only success story of the village...it's also the workers and the people they support. I've become close to the farm workers. Many of them are like family to me. I can see the positive impact the village has had on them and it makes me happy. To give a man a job, I have learned is one of the best things that you can do!

So now back to my encounter at the local clinic. I was paying for the parasite test when I was approached by a woman. The test costs the equivilent of less than a dollar. For me, this is something that I can easily pay. The woman took me to the side and began to speak to me in Kinyarwanda. I knew gist of what she was saying, but asked my friend who's the director of the clinic. She was explaining that she's poor and wants helping paying medical bills. I'm constantly asked for money. I never know how to react. I want to give to everyone but know it's not possible. I know that I can't solve all the problems in the world but I would like to try. I know this is just not possible. I struggle with the fact that I was born in a way that allows me to eat when I want and get the best medical attention when I need it. This is not the reality for some of my neighbors living in Rubona. How do you react to this? What's the best thing to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment